Adventure Challenge is a voluntary Club activity which is open to both boys and girls from Form 2 and above. Once in the group, a high degree of commitment is required of the members as it is challenging, and at times risky and requiring discipline, responsibility, knowledge and skill.
Listed here are some of the foundational principles of the Adventure Challenge:
- We try to create teamwork with the ability to think creatively and to learn how to take the initiative.
- We teach you specific physical skills related to the activities, providing you with the confidence you need when facing challenge
- We teach you how to manage safety and risk in a situation and to balance it out, with this comes the lesson for responsibility.
- The ability to navigate under various conditions and environments is an important part of our activities.
- As climbing and abseiling form part of our activities, ropes and knots are important branches of our knowledge and skill.
- We try to engender a responsible attitude to the natural environment.
We have established a basic camp in the hills above the College. Each term a week is spent at Camp Gecko. These weeks have proved to be enjoyable and valuable in bonding within the group and in learning skills necessary for other activities.
The climax of the year is undoubtedly the annual "Venture to Adventure". This weeklong activity takes us into the wild parts of our beautiful country where we use what we have learned in the year. In our Ventures, we have hiked Matusadona, Chimanimani, Nyanga, Matopos, Mana Pools and Umfurudzi. It can readily be understood that these are difficult and demanding activities requiring strength, skill, responsibility and trust in the rest of the group, along with a great deal of fun and fulfilment in the results.
It is interesting to note that the achievements of Adventure Challenge members seem to be disproportionately higher when compared to the rest of the College. This seems to be true of academic achievements, sporting achievements as well as cultural and leadership achievements.